I recently published on my Instagram profile a couple of videos where I was playing some tunes on guitar or ukulele. Since I wanted the audio to sound as good as possible I decided to record it separately, wiring the instrument directly to the Mac via an audio interface and using the iPhone camera only for the video. The idea was to then put everything together (iPhone video + audio track recorded in GarageBand) and voilà: done.

Sounds easy right?
Well, turned out that it wasn’t.

Given the very basic video editing needs, I decided to use iMovie. So I moved to the beginning of the song, aligned the audio and video tracks and then played all together. What I noticed is that the audio was going out of sync after a few seconds. Not a big offset, but enough to be noticed and this of course was getting worse around the end of the video, which was only one minute long. …


As an Italian living in Berlin, I’m attending German classes, where I was introduced to the concept of flashcards for memorizing words that we learned during lesson. The idea is incredibly simple: you write down the newly learned German word on a piece of paper, and then on the back-side of it you write the translation in your native language. Then, when you have a collection of cards, you train your memory: just put them on the table with the English (or, in my case, Italian) side up, pick one and try to remember the German translation for it. Then you flip it and check if you were right. If that’s the case, you continue with the other cards. Otherwise you flip it back again and you proceed with the other cards. Additionally, you can also divide them in different boxes, based on how well you know these words. Once you mastered a word you can move it to the next group. …


In one of my recent projects I realized, just before launching, that the website was not rendered at all in some non-modern browsers. Specifically, I tested on an old iPad running Safari on iOS 9.3.5 (which I keep exactly for testing purposes) and on an emulation of IE11. The final result was the same: a blank page. This surprised me because in the early stages of the project, the page was rendered properly even on these devices. I checked the mobile Safari console and found this error:

SyntaxError: Unexpected keyword ‘const’. Const declarations are not supported in strict mode.

This was rather unexpected, since in theory Babel was supposed to compile all my code to ES5 compatible code, and const should be automatically transpiled to var. Therefore I realized that this must be coming from one of the external dependencies that I’m using. …

About

Antonio Cosentino

Full-Stack Developer and Musician, based in Berlin. cosentino.dev

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store